The Heikoff Giant Dome Theater is temporarily closed through the end of October 2023 as we enhance our accommodations for an even more extraordinary experience at the Fleet Science Center.
Sleepover Participant Guide
This guide will help answer questions as you prepare for your sleepover at the Fleet Science Center. If you have additional questions, please call the Special Events Department at (619) 238-1233 x761 or email Special Events.
Tickets and Reservations
Be sure to RSVP, reserve your spot, or purchase tickets with the organization hosting your sleepover.
Sleepovers begin at 6:30 p.m. Friday and end at 8 a.m. Saturday.
Example Sleepover Schedule
- 6:30 p.m. – Check in at the William and Grayson Boehm Community Forum
- Drop off your items, pick up dinner, and explore the galleries.
- 7:30 p.m. – Interactive science show in the Great Hall
- 8:30 p.m. – IMAX documentary film in the Heikoff Giant Dome Theater
- 9:30 p.m. – Set up sleeping areas and more gallery time.
- 10:30 p.m. – Lights out, quiet hours until Day 2
- 6:30 a.m. – Quiet hours end
- 7:00 a.m. – Continental breakfast in Community Forum
- 7:30 a.m. – Start packing your things
- 8:00 a.m. – Sleepover ends as Fleet Science Center returns to normal operations and prepares for another day of fun and exploration
Directions and Parking
Be sure to use the parking lot located directly behind Fleet Science Center as Balboa Park Rangers will enforce parking hours in other lots.
Our check-in will be at the back entrance facing the parking lot.
Look for an open door at the back of the building facing the parking lot.
- You will receive a copy of the Sleepover Schedule.
- You can place your items in the Community Forum until after the movie. After the movie, you are free to choose your sleeping spot. You will have access to your items throughout the evening
- Dinner will be served
Please do not bring food or drink into the exhibit galleries.
Please follow these rules when attending the sleepover:
- Adults must always accompany their children.
- Do not set up your sleeping area in front of marked exits or stairwells.
- Ensure all areas have sufficiently wide (4 feet) walkways when setting up.
- Always wear shoes when walking around the museum.
- Please walk at all times
- Do not play on stairways or elevators
- Consumption of alcohol is not permitted during the event
The Fleet’s security officers patrol the premises all night. If you have any problems or an emergency, please contact a security officer or Fleet staff member. Follow directions from Fleet staff or security in the event of an emergency.
- Treat exhibits with care; no food or drink is allowed in the exhibit galleries
- Please keep your belongings in the Community Forum until you are asked to place them in the sleeping area.
- Observe quiet time after lights out.
- Do not touch or move other peoples’ belongings
PACKING FOR YOUR VISIT
You will be sleeping in the exhibit galleries. Note that temperatures in the building may vary, so plan your outfit and sleeping materials accordingly.
What to bring
- Sleeping bag, camping pad or cot, pillow, blanket
- Comfortable clothes or pajamas
- Consider earplugs & sleep masks, some lights will remain on throughout the night.
- Guests with dietary restrictions are permitted to bring outside food and drink.
What NOT to bring
- Plug-in air mattress
- Tents (space is limited)
- Expensive electronics