The Fleet Science Center will be closed on Monday, December 25.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I become a member
You can become a member by joining online today at (link). You can also join in person at the ticket counter or over the phone at (619)-685-5713.
- What types of memberships do you have?
Our memberships are based on the number of people you would like on the membership. Our general memberships include gallery access plus one documentary per member, per visit. With Adventure & Voyager levels, you also get our monthly planetarium shows. And, we have our Household level, a gallery-only membership available. For a full list of our membership levels click here.
- Who is included in my membership?
Your membership includes whomever you list on your membership. For example, a Household Plus can include four named individuals who would have unlimited gallery access and one documentary per visit.
- What other benefits does my membership include?
Your membership is the best way to experience the Fleet Science Center, and it unlocks discounts and experiences. For a full list of benefits, click here.
- Do I need to provide names for all adults and/or children included with my Membership?
Yes. We ask that you provide the names and birthdates of all individuals on the membership. This allows any member, including children, to enter separately or together. This information also helps us better understand the people visiting so we can continually improve our offerings.
- Can I use my membership right away?
Yes. You can use your membership as soon as you complete your purchase.
- Where can I find my Member ID number?
Find your member ID number in one of the following ways:
- One the PDF or link the confirmation email (for online purchases)
- On your member cards via the eMembership Card app
- On our member portal, create an account to view of download member cards to your digital wallet on your smartphone
- At the bottom of all member communications, including emails and letters
- How long does my membership last?
Your membership is for one year. It starts the day you purchase it and ends the last day of that same month the following year. For example, if you buy your membership on February 20, 2023, it expires on February 29, 2024.
- When will I receive my membership cards?
Your membership cards will be available immediately. When you purchase in person, at the end of the transaction, we will print your temporary cards with instructions on how to access your digital cards.
If you purchased online, your cards are attached to your confirmation email as a PDF. The confirmation email also contains a link to your digital cards so you can save them to your digital wallet on your smartphone.
You can also find your cards in the eMembership Card app by providing your last name and phone number.
- Where can I edit my address and update my email?
You can update your address, email, and phone number on the member portal. Log in to your account with your email and password; then go to "Updated Pass".
- Why do I have to show a photo ID when I use my membership card to enter the museum?
For everyone's safety and security, we verify that you are the member on the membership.
- Are memberships tax-deductible?
A portion of your membership may be tax-deductible. Consult your financial advisor for details.
Our tax ID is #95-6066250
- How can I give the gift of membership?
You can give the gift of membership online or purchase a membership gift certificate in person at the ticket counter.
- What kinds of special events do you host for your members?
Membership unlocks exclusive events, such as screenings of the latest documentaries before the public openings, special exhibit openings, and other events.
- Can my children visit the museum as members without me?
If your child is named on the membership, they will receive their own digital membership card. Their card allows them to use their membership even when the adults on the membership are not present. They can use their membership card on a smartphone or get a temporary paper card from the ticket counter to use for their visit.
- How can I add a nanny or other caregiver to my membership? If I have a nanny, which level is best for me?
You can add any additional members to your membership for $50 per additional member. Please contact the membership department for information regarding healthcare aides over email or call (619) 685-5713.
- Can I bring a guest with my membership?
Our new member levels include a number of guest passes that let you bring someone not covered under your membership for free.
If you still have our old membership level, you can use your digital or physical theater vouchers as a guest admission.
If you are out of guest passes or vouchers, members can bring additional guests with a $12.50 admission ticket.
- Can I use my ticket to upgrade a membership?
Tickets purchased onsite or directly from our website can be applied to the purchase of a membership onsite and cannot be more than the number of members on the membership. For example, if you bought four tickets, those four tickets could be applied for a Household Plus membership but not for an Adventurer membership because and Adventurer membership is only for two people. You may apply ticket purchases toward a membership on the date of ticket purchase. Third party tickets, such as Go City passes, are not applicable.
- Does my membership include admission to The Sky Tonight?
The Sky Tonight planetarium shows are free for the number of members on the membership for Adventurer, Voyager and any level of Luminary Society.
All other memberships, as well as Adventurers, Voyagers, and Luminary Society, bringing more guests than their membership allows enjoy a $10 off The Sky Tonight tickets.
- Do members get discounts on IMAX movie tickets?
IMAX films are limited engagement and not eligible for discounts. Although, members do not have to pay the convenience fee for online purchases.
- What if I want to see more than one film during my visit?
One documentary film is covered by all memberships except Household memberships. Additional documentary film tickets are available for a discounted rate of $8.95 each. Please visit the ticket counter to purchase.
- Can I exchange my membership for/upgrade to a Balboa Park Explorer Annual Pass?
Membership at the Fleet Science Center unlocks discounts, films, and unlimited gallery admission. The Balboa Explorer Annual Pass is not a membership, instead it provides general admission to 16 participating venues (including the Fleet Science Center) in Balboa Park for 365 days and some exclusive offers and discounts. It does not provide the same benefits as the Fleet Science Center's membership program.
- What is the ASTC Travel Passport Program?
The Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) Travel Passport Program offers members of science centers, such as the Fleet, admission at other participating science centers. Please see this link for restrictions and a full list of participating museums.
- Is the San Diego Natural History Museum included in my ASTC Travel Passport Program?
Per ASTC Travel Passport rules, the San Diego Natural History Museum does not fall under reciprocal admission with the Fleet Science Center. The ASTC Travel Passport requires a participating institution to be greater than 90 miles from your member location.
- What's the difference between a membership at the Fleet Science Center and a Balboa Park Explorer pass?
Membership at the Fleet Science Center unlocks discounts, films and unlimited gallery admission. The Balboa Explorer Annual Pass is not a membership, instead it provides general admission to 16 participating venues (including the Fleet Science Center) in Balboa Park for 365 days and some exclusive offers and discounts. It does not provide the same benefits as the Fleet Science Center's membership program.
- I didn't like the museum. Can I get a refund for my membership?
No. Fleet memberships are nonrefundable and nontransferable.
- My question wasn't addressed here. What should I do?
You can contact our membership office by phone at (619) 685-5713 or by email for any questions not addressed here.