VOLUNTEERING: HELP CONNECT PEOPLE TO THE POWER OF SCIENCE!
Every volunteer is an invaluable part of the Fleet family, helping ensure our guests’ experiences are meaningful, memorable, educational, and fun.
The Fleet offers numerous volunteer positions in a creative, fun environment. From the gallery floor to the education classrooms to special events and retail.
- Fleet volunteers must be 16 years of age or older.
- Volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum of three months.
Benefits of Volunteering at the Fleet
As a valued Fleet volunteer, you play a vital role in our mission of connecting people to the power of science while:
- Interacting/meeting new people from around the globe
- Developing new skills
- Training and working with our fun and diverse staff
Fleet volunteers also receive great benefits such as:
- Free previews of exhibits and IMAX films
- Invitations to special events and activities
- 30% Discount at our Craveology Café
- 30% Discount at the North Star Store
- Special awards and recognition
Museum Ambassadors are an integral part of the science center’s operations. They provide excellent visitor service and ensure that guests have an enjoyable experience at the Fleet. This position is mainly self-directed, with volunteers assisting with Studio X, IMAX films, and the North Star Science Store.
- Greet and welcome visitors and groups, answering questions and informing them of Fleet rules.
- Direct visitors to galleries and other key points of interest.
- Monitor IMAX theater shows
- Assist with Studio X prep and other duties as needed.
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions, theater shows and events
- Be knowledgeable of safety and emergency procedures
A more involved and detailed volunteer position. Gallery Facilitators interact with Fleet visitors toward the goal of sparking curiosity, excitement, and interest in our many hands-on exhibits. Gallery facilitators serve as exhibit and gallery monitors, science demonstrators, activity leaders, and much more.
- Utilize “inquiry method” to facilitate interactions between visitors and exhibits.
- Facilitate open-ended, in-depth science activities with visitors.
- Answer basic exhibit usage questions.
- Monitor guest behavior for safety and proper exhibit usage.
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions; theater shows and events.
- Be knowledgeable about safety and emergency procedures.
OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
There are always new volunteer opportunities at the Fleet, including:
- Special Events
- Science Fairs
- Parties/Park Events
- Education Camps
- Science Advocates
Questions about joining our diverse volunteer family? If you do not find your answer, please reach out so that we can help you.
For More Information
Contact us at 619-238-1233 x835 or by email.
Current volunteers, click here to log in.